Tuesday 2 March 2010

Despising the notion called Facebook

Hey everybody, this is Daveaysrelax coming in to talk to you about a number of different ways that I use the internet and the things it has to offer.

Number one, this may be the biggest love hate relationship since Jekyll and Hyde, and it goes by the name of Facebook. There are a number of things that simply annoy me on Facebook and I think that the main one is the fact that I was a dedicated MySpace fan. MySpace was personal and you could show to you friends and enemies what you’re into and who you are. It also had the added effect of HTML editing; I know that this isn’t for everyone however thankfully it did encourage me to learn HTML and come handy with other projects.

I was perusing the internet the other day and found an article by Danah Boyed called “Why Teens Heart MySpace”. (http://www.danah.org/papers/WhyYouthHeart.pdf) she states that “In essence, MySpace is the civil society of teenage culture: whether one is for it or against it, everyone knows the site and has an opinion about it.” I agree with this notion completely, before university and especially on rainy days I and my friends used MySpace and Facebook as a place to “hang out”.

Another thing that I dislike about Facebook is the forever updating statuses that, quite frankly, I do not care about…


Not only are these statuses ill worded and full of bad grammar they also fail to excite my interest in other people’s day to day lives. To add to this, people then feel the need to reply to them!! MySpace however conquered this by making there statuses “bulletins”, these gave the user the option to read or not to read these pointless statuses instead of having them shoved in your face.

Just as I was settling into the annoyances of Facebook, what did they go and do? Update it, and not just once. This is a constant annoyance that the creators of Facebook seem to think is good. I used to like the old layout, but now I don’t know where anything is and uploading photos seems more of a task than playing a prank on a friend, who got a little bit worse for wear at last nights party…

To me MySpace seems more of a predecessor to Facebook not just a different social networking sight, this is because everyone moved to Facebook and forgot about MySpace. I last logged into MySpace 2days ago and it’s like a treasure trove of old friends, old pictures and old songs that I used to listen to. This reminds me a little of my dads attic accept its easier to get into.

No comments:

Post a Comment